The Student News Site of Shaker High School

The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison

How Important Are School Pep Rallies?

The pep rally is probably one of the most memorable moments from high school. It’s an event that a lot of students look forward to: classes are shorter, we get to see our classmates perform, the excitement and anticipation in the air, it’s hard not to look forward to it. It’s an opportunity for students to let loose and show their school spirit. In general, school pep rallies have become an important part of the American education system. It may seem as though pep rallies are only for people interested in sports but in reality, they allow for students to feel a sense of community, enthusiasm, and belonging. 

The origins of pep rallies can be traced back to primarily American high schools and colleges in the early 20th century. Pep rallies initially started as a way to boost school spirit and support for sports teams, especially football. Over the years, however, they evolved into a special tradition that combines various events and activities that are both engaging and entertaining. 

Pep rallies have multiple components: introduction of sports teams, both competitive and noncompetitive, music, performances by cheerleaders and other teams, contests, and speeches. At Shaker’s pep rally, which happened on Friday, October 6th, all of these components were portrayed. All the sports teams at Shaker were introduced, followed by a wonderful performance by our cheerleaders. After their performance, there was a game of tug-of-war between the years, as well as the faculty. Finally, after that very entertaining game, which the Junior class “won”, we had an amazing dance performance from the boy’s dance team. All of these events served to energize the crowd and get us excited for what was about to come: the homecoming game! Pep rallies foster a strong sense of school spirit and pride. The attendance of the collective student body allows for everyone to feel connected to the school, and not only does that show our support to our amazing football team, but it also boosts morale and enthusiasm. This is especially important due to the recent dwindling in school spirit across schools. 

High school can be very divided, with all the different clubs, sports, activities, classes, etc. But pep rallies can bring all the students from different grades and interests together and unite us in a common space. They break down social barriers and serve to build a more inclusive school environment. It’s easy to find friends in pep rallies and during homecoming season because everyone is enjoying the feel of school spirit in the air and the high suspense for the homecoming game and dance. Specifically for freshmen, the pep rally is a good opportunity for the students to know what the high school community is like, and it allows them to more easily integrate into high school culture. In addition, amid academic pressures, pep rallies offer students a chance to relax and have fun. They provide a respite from the demands of the classrooms and teachers, and therefore help students recharge and reduce stress. It’s easy to feel like high school is just about classes, extracurricular activities, and grades, but it’s not and pep rallies help us remember that. 

School pep rallies, despite popular opinion, are more than just a gathering of students cheering for sports teams; it is an important part of the high school experience. For many, it stands out as a memorable moment, and it serves to not only support the sports teams but to also increase school spirit, instill a sense of community and belonging among the students, provide students with the opportunity to make friends, and serve as a reminder to everyone that high school is more than just studying and classes: it’s about making memories, friends, and exploring different things.