The Student News Site of Shaker High School

The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison

The 2023 Shaker Homecoming Dance: A Summary

Shaker High School held its annual Homecoming Dance this past Saturday, following a successful Saratoga defeat on the football field. Thanks to the efforts and coordination of Shaker Student Government, nearly 1,200 students were in attendance, contributing all too well to the deafening sound of dancing feet and voice-stealing singalongs. 

Set up for the dance itself, began around 8 a.m. that day, with devoted StuGov members hurrying to install decorations, hang streamers, and set everything in motion for the night’s festivities. According to junior StuGov Ambassador Gianna Greco ‘25—“[Set up] was surprisingly great with around thirty StuGov ambassadors and members helping us. It only took us about three and half hours to put up the decorations, which was shorter than expected.” 

The dance itself began around 7 p.m., with long lines stemming from the lower gym halls towards the front entrance. Lining the walls in front of H Gym, where the dance itself was held – were blue and silver streamers, befitted with dozens of bright balloons. Upon walking into the gym itself, the large excitement of people surrounding the DJ’s stand could be instantly spotted. The spirited and energetic musical lineup, curated by senior Brenna Welling, included hits from artists like Fergie, Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, and DNCE. The gym’s lights were out, but the dance floor was still lit up by shining bursts of color, and the brightening glow of cell phone flashlights. The dance floor itself was characterized by the frequent formation of enthusiastic dance circles, with senior Nathan Allen seizing the opportunity to show off his dance skills (reminiscent of Friday’s Homecoming Game “Dance Battle” victory). A throng of hundreds of students could be seen moving in rhythm to the music; a sea of satin, sparkles, and shimmer. And, despite the at times stifling temperature of over a thousand students dancing in unison, accompanied by the persistent ditching of uncomfortable shoes in favor of bare feet – the dance floor was never empty. 

The 3D photo booth (thanks to StuGov) was also a popular feature, with students posing, whilst the camera would rotate about an axis around them, capturing dynamic and memorable photos of the night.  The night would conclude at 10 pm, but not before playing the classic Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing”.  Student Government would conclude cleanup at around 11 pm. Overall, student response to the dance has proven positive, and according to senior Ava Pasterchick who was in attendance:“ I think StuGov did a great job planning [the dance] and everyone including my friends had a great time.” Gianna Greco also had to say, “I personally think this the best homecoming dance I’ve been to so far, with the best decorations too!” 

All in all, Shaker’s Annual Homecoming Dance 2023 was a success! Here’s to next year’s. Go Bison!