The Student News Site of Shaker High School
Im really interested in computer science, but I feel pressured to be a doctor. What should I do?

I’m really interested in computer science, but I feel pressured to be a doctor. What should I do?

D

ear Shaker Bison, I’m really interested in computer science, but I feel pressured to be a doctor. What should I do? ~Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I totally see your dilemma. Since you know that you’re interested in computer science, try experimenting more in that field. Read around and see what you like about computer science and continue that. Be it web development, artificial intelligence, computer systems and networks, security, database systems, human-computer interaction, programming languages, etc. While you’re doing all that, talk to your parents or whoever is pressuring you. Computer science is a magnificent field and is projected to grow rapidly in the near future. Things more than ever are requiring computers and I honestly say, go for it. Parents and guardians want you to be able to live a good life with a stable income. The jobs that society tends to think of the most when they think of success and stable income and good life is a doctor, lawyer, and 8-5 jobs. If you explain to your parents or guardians that computer science is a field that is expected to grow substantially and will definitely allow you to live comfortably, they most likely will support you the entire way through. And if you’re pressured by society, I say to prove them wrong. Prove that what you’re passionate about is an amazing career and this will maybe along the way even inspire younger generations to follow what they actually want to do instead of succumbing to societal expectations. We wish you the best of luck!

~ The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Shaker Bison Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *