The Student News Site of Shaker High School

The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison

The Shaker Bison

Failure of а Fitness Resolution

“New year, New me”, the beginning of the new year motivates many people to become healthier. This can mean different things, from smaller changes to bigger ones like completely changing your habits and behavior, which would be a complete lifestyle change. Everyone can become healthier in some way, and almost everyone would like to be. So, why is it so unlikely for these resolutions to be successful?

To put it simply, a lot of people who make these resolutions commit to the results they want without considering the process needed to get there. Verywell Fitness published a list of the most popular fitness goals, with the top three being ‘get abs’, ‘get stronger’, and ‘exercise more’. All of these goals require time, effort, and motivation that many people simply do not account for. All of these goals require time set out for physical activity which can be difficult to manage with work and family responsibilities. In addition to the time set out, many people’s resolutions include expensive gym memberships or equipment. The one-time purchase of equipment or paying for a gym membership can be a motivator for some, but oftentimes it is a financial strain on people trying to get fit and keep up with their fitness resolutions. 

Another big reason that people fail their fitness resolutions is a lack of motivation or unrealistic expectations. Resolutions are exciting. The image of being healthy and strong is fun to think about, but many people get caught up in the image alone and don’t think about the effort they need to put in to achieve that. Exercise has great physical and mental health benefits, and is recommended to everyone in some form, but most people do not enjoy it and stop after only a few uses of their equipment or a few visits to the gym. So even without the financial strains and conflicts with other obligations, many people lose interest in working out and eating healthy when their original excitement for their resolutions wears off. 

This and the unrealistic nature of many people’s resolutions and goals is what leads to so many of them failing. Two of the three most common goals, to “get stronger” and “exercise more”, are vague and up to interpretation, which makes them hard to stick to. Specific goals, like SMART goals, are more likely to be successful. The third one of the most common goals (“get abs”) is more difficult to fix, because it is a combination of all three issues discussed above. The goal requires an exercise plan, and oftentimes equipment or a gym membership. It is a long-term goal that makes it hard to stay motivated, and it is very difficult for many and likely a long, multi-step process that many do not anticipate or prepare for. To get visible abdominal muscle, most people would have to lose weight on top of the strength training required to build the muscle. While it is attainable, this goal would take consistent effort and a plan, both of which are rare in New Year’s resolutions. 

These reasons can be discouraging to those looking to become healthier, but they don’t have to stop people from taking steps to improve their fitness. A big part of staying consistent is being realistic and staying motivated, but that rarely happens in New Year’s resolutions that completely change the way of life. A way to combat this is to start with small goals, like going for a walk each day or drinking a certain amount of water each day. Staying consistent in these goals, even when a day is missed will make a positive change in a person’s life. After all, some exercise, or any other positive change is better than none.